Friday, March 4, 2011

Virginia gems... ;)

I didn't get on one plane this entire week. That's rare.

I did however have three meetings in Chesapeake, VA in today. After which I was tired and hungry. I discovered (by excellent recommendation of one of the folks I met with today) an oceanfront restaurant in Virgina Beach called Catch 31. It was out of the way to get to, but I thought- what's the rush to get back to DC? Why not enjoy a nice meal and go see what this place was like.

SO glad I did. The restaurant is located inside of the Hilton and I HIGHLY recommend. I ordered fresh Tilapia- and it came with all sorts of goodness on top and under it including mashed potatoes, sweet glaze and carrots.... yumminess!

The view... was amazing. During lunch I had to dial into a team meeting back in DC and listen in while I put the phone on mute and indulged my taste buds. I just couldn't help but want to scream through the phone, "I am eating delicious warm pudding pudding for dessert overlooking the beautiful blue ocean right now!! SUCKERS!!!" ;)

It was an exciting moment for me. Living a life on the go, you really really learn to apprecaite the small things- like sitting down, having a nice meal, and enjoying the view... and did I mention, sitting down? And... having a nice MEAL??

I headed out of Virgnia Beach and after a slightly horrendous encounter with rush hour traffic, headed back to DC. I had contemplated just taking a flight out of Norfolk and avoiding the 3.5 hour drive home late in the afternoon. But after passing signs for "Williamsburg" last night, I thought it could potentially be nice to have a little coffee break in colonial Williamsburg. Again, there was absolutely no reason to rush to get back.

I called my girlfriend "Ruthie" who is from Virginia Beach and said, "I'm headed to colonial Williamsburg- where should I go?" After freaking out that I was "going to all of her spots" she told me to definitely check out "Aromas".

So, here I am in Aroma's- LOVE this place. As I was parking I had the sense that this is like a college town or something and I thought to myself, "What college is here??" Then walking into Aroma's I see a chick with a green and gold hoodie on that says in big block college letters: "WILLIAM AND MARY."

DUH BETSY! Seriously- sometimes, I think I've just lost all common sense!  :)

I had one of those "oh my gosh I am in love" type feelings when I walked in. Hardwood floors, counters full of colorful biscottis, flowers, paintings, burlap sack coffee bags, and to top it off, the Amelie soundtrack was playing in the backgrond. (Mom, think FRENCH wonderfulness).

How fitting that the girl sitting beside me was wearing a grey french beret and graciously offered to plug in my laptop chord since I was wearing a skirt (which she and 5 other people complimented today- thanks to CAbi!)  :)

Time to start heading back to DC- my Mom just called and I could tell she was anxious I haven't left yet...

"You know Bets... since you were on business travel today, don't you think you could just spend the night there and drive back in the morning??"  :) I probably should have planned that better and I could have had a nice little Williamburg getaway.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the Virginia gems I discovered today instead of rushing back to DC.

Just as I finish typing this, Jack Johnson is playing in the backround..  He's singing "Slow down everyone... you're moving TOO fast...."

How perfect.